Just a reminder that the second round of public meetings for the Richmond Transit Network Plan are here—our once-in-a generation opportunity to enhance the bus network for the City at no additional cost!
In the New York Times, TheUpshot blog recently looked at how transportation is crucial to escape poverty:
In a large, continuing study of upward mobility based at Harvard, commuting time has emerged as the single strongest factor in the odds of escaping poverty. The longer an average commute in a given county, the worse the chances of low-income families there moving up the ladder.
What are commute times like for the City's transit network today? What could they be? How well does it connect folks to jobs? How could we get more frequent service? At these public meetings, we have the chance to ask these questions and help give the feedback this plan needs to succeed.
Here's how you can get involved:
- Fill out the online survey and let the Richmond Transit Network Plan team know what your priorities are.
- Attend one of the public meetings (dates below) for a real-life version of the above survey.
- Share this flyer with friends, colleagues, non-profits, and for-profits in the City that are interested in improving Richmond's transit network.
We continue to work toward a regional transit system, but this is a key opportunity for the City. And the best part: it's not a plan destined for the shelf, but for implementation!
Public meeting dates
- July 26th, 6:00 - 8:00 PM • Southside Community Services Center (4100 Hull Street)
- July 27th, 6:00 - 8:00 PM • DMV Richmond Central Services Center (2300 West Broad Street)
- August 3rd, 6:00 - 8:00 PM • Powhatan Community Center (5051 Northampton Street)
- August 4th, 6:00 - 8:00 PM • Community High School (201 Brookland Park Boulevard)
- August 8th, 6:00 - 8:00 PM • Fairfield Court Boys and Girls Club (2506 Phaup Street)
- August 9th, 6:00 - 8:00 PM • Hillside Court Community Center (1500 Harwood Street)
- August 10th, 6:00 - 8:00 PM • Mosby Court Community Center (1543 Coalter Street)
- August 24th, 6:00 - 8:00 PM • Calhoun Community Center (436 Calhoun Street)