On Tuesday, January 27, 2015 the following article ran in RVA News: RVA’s bus rapid transit updated
GRTC releases some more details of the future BRT system.
The first of two meetings to show off and discuss the rapid transit plan occurred last night. As expected there were some changes to the original plan and quite a few details were released.
- On-street parking between Interstate 195 and 14th Street will be removed for a bus lane (according to Style Weekly the lane is 9 feet wide and the buses are 10.5 feet wide, so that’s an issue to resolved)
- Station locations have been shuffled, with a downtown stop heading to the location of Stone Brewing and another moved closer to Scott’s addition
- Station designs revealed (seen above) and will allow passengers to walk directly onto the busses without dealing with steps
- Stations will allow passengers to buy tickets, including daily, weekend, and weekly passes
- Busses would operate every 10 minutes during peak hours and 15 during off peak and cost $1.50.
January 27, 2015; 9:38 AM • by Nathan Cushing